AMADEUS EDUCATIONAL CONFERENCE 2021
AMADEUS EDU-CO 2021 aims to bring educators, friends, and colleagues, together under expert tuition from leading educationalists.
Come to be part of one rich conversation; over two days; with three leading educational experts; among passionate and likeminded educators; punctuated by an incredible evening with GALA dinner and musical performances; and leave with some new perspectives, and a professional network to share your learning journey with throughout the rest of the year!
Over two days (5th-6th November) we will explore both the technical elements of education, with Professor Guy Claxton and his Learning Power Approach, as well as the psychological elements of education, with Dr Brian Marien and Dr Catherine Marshall from Positive Group.
Join AMADEUS EDU-CO 2021 as we drill down into what high-quality teaching and learning looks, feels, and sounds like in high-performance classrooms.
Why Attend AMADEUS EDU-CO 2021
Following on from an incredibly challenging 18 months in teaching, AMADEUS International School Vienna are inviting you to take part in a conference focusing on equipping you with some of the core psychological skills which will support wellbeing, promote connection with others, and stimulate you to re-think some of the historical practices which may be stifling our progress toward more ubiquitous cultures of high-performance learning.
Friday 5th November: Teaching for Knowledge and Character, A Day with Professor Guy Claxton
In this day with the originator of the Learning Power Approach (LPA), we will explore in detail what it means to develop intellectual character, and what it takes to do it in a way that also boosts students’ achievement. Participants will learn a series of small, high-leverage tweaks to their teaching methods that cumulatively turn round the culture of the classroom and students’ attitudes towards learning.
- In Teaching for distinction: an introduction to the Learning Power Approach session we’ll look at the foundations of the LPA in both science and ethics, and what it demands of busy, successful teachers. Specifically, we will explore some conscious, explicit, and deliberate, approaches to aligning today’s lessons to our best possible futures.
- Classroom practice: the tweaks that count session will lay out a wide range of practical adjustments that any teacher could make, leading to coherent and comprehensive learning outcomes, within purposeful classroom cultures, and provide discussion time for selecting and customising choices.
EDU-CO 2021 SCHEDULE - Day One
- 09:00 – 09:15 – The day in context and introduction by Dr Jeremy House
- 09:15 – 10:30 – Teaching for distinction: an introduction to the Learning Power Approach
- 10:30 – 11:00 – Coffee break
- 11:00 – 12:30 – Classroom practice: the tweaks that count
- 12:30 – 13:30 – Lunch
- 13:30 – 15:00 – Discussions in working groups
- 15:00 – 15:15 – Short break
- 15:15 – 15:50 – Plenary Q&A and time for individual action planning
- 15:50 – 16:00 – Key messages and next steps announced by Jeremy House
- 17:30 – 18:00 Gala Dinner Reception
- 18:00 – 22:00 Gala Dinner
Saturday 6th November: AMADEUS Aware & Connect with the Positive Group
Dr Brian Marien and Dr Catherine Marshall of the Positive Group are looking forward to meeting you for a day dedicated to your personal and professional development. Positive Group are dedicated to improving the health, wellbeing and performance of individuals and organisations through applied psychology and neuroscience. They will take participants through two of the four pillars of their positive educators programme. All participants will also receive a 12 month subscription to the Positive Now online platform to work through the remaining pillars in the programme.
- In the Awareness workshop we will be exploring the science of stress and performance. You will be introduced to some research-based techniques and engaging in discussion about ways to embed new skills to enhance your resilience and wellbeing.
- In the Connection workshop we will be looking at how we can enhance our connections by developing active listening and regulation skills. We will also be discussing how working collaboratively builds team cohesion and psychological safety.
EDU-CO 2021 SCHEDULE - Day Two
- 09:00 – 09:50 – Introduction Keynote by Dr Brian Marien
- 09:50 – 10:00 – Break
- 10:00 – 12:00 – Part 1.1 – Awareness Pillar – The Science of Stress and Performance
- 12:00 – 12:40 – Lunch
- 12:40 – 13:30 – Part 1.2 – Awareness Pillar – The Science of Stress and Performance
- 13:30 – 13:40 – Break
- 13:40 – 15:40 – Part 2.1 – Connection Pillar – Developing Active Listening and Regulation Skills
- 15:40 – 15:50 – Break
- 15:50 – 16:40 – Part 2.2 – Connection Pillar – Developing Active Listening and Regulation Skills
- 16:50 – 17:30 – Plenary Q&A and time for individual action planning
Professor Guy Claxton
Learning Power Approach
World-renowned cognitive scientist and emeritus Professor of the Learning Sciences at the University of Winchester, Prof. Claxton has influenced educational theory and practice across the world. One of the UK’s foremost thinkers on creativity, innovation, learning and the brain, in both business and education, he specialises in ways to expand young people’s appetite and capacity for learning. His ‘Building Learning Power’ approach to teaching has shown the way to the Holy Grail of schools: children who get good grades, and who are strong, inquisitive, independent and lifelong learners.
In 2013, Prof. Claxton was listed in Most Influential Thinkers in HR Top 20.
Dr Brian Marien
Co-Founder and Director, Positive Group
Dr Marien trained in medicine and gained a Masters in Health Psychology from Surrey University before going on to train in cognitive and behavioural psychology at the Institute of Psychiatry, London.
Dr Marien is the co-founder and director of the Positive Group, a company dedicated to delivering evidence-based techniques to improve the psychological wellbeing, resilience and performance of individuals and teams. Over the past ten years Dr Marien has worked collaboratively with a team of highly experienced doctors, psychologists and executive coaches at the Positive Group, to create a range of programmes specifically designed to improve psychological health, engagement and performance in the workplace.
Dr Catherine Marshall
Programme Delivery Lead, The Positive Group
Dr Marshall is a medically trained doctor and member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, having previously worked for 10 years in the NHS specialising as a consultant in forensic psychiatry.
Throughout her career Dr Marshall has maintained a close connection with education. She provides training to healthcare professionals on communication skills and mentoring.
Motivated by the transformational change businesses can experience from integrating positive psychology strategies, Dr Marshall uses her experience and scientific knowledge base to deliver engaging and thought-provoking workshops to clients across all industries, thereby equipping them to flourish at work.
It is advisable that applicants make their registration promptly as places on the course are strictly limited. Full payment must be received by AMADEUS Vienna within 14 days of receival of the invoice, and not less than 14 days before the event. Additional Terms & Conditions apply.
Visitors are recommended to check with the Austrian representation in their country for the latest travel restrictions and policies.
AMADEUS EDU-CO 2021 follows all COVID-19 related safety measures as recommended by the Austrian government. Participants will be informed of the latest announcements of measures closer to the date.
AMADEUS EDU-CO 2021 is owned and operated by Themes Vienna Limited & Co KG.